Maghaberry Primary School Mission Statement
In Maghaberry Primary School and Nursery Unit,
we seek to ensure that every member of the school community
strives to achieve their full potential by celebrating individual worth,
talents and achievements and by sharing, understanding
and empathising with each other.
The staff and governors of Maghaberry Primary School and Nursery have a collective responsibility to ensure the safety and welfare of the children in our care.
Our Safeguarding Team is made up of the following people:
Designated Teacher for Child Protection
Mrs Rhonda Wilson
Deputy Designated Teachers for Child Protection
Mrs Joanne Hamilton and Dr Graham Gault
Governor Responsible for Child Protection
Mrs Joy Gilmore
Mr John Watson and Mr George Ellis
We aim to:
- Help our pupils recognise unwelcome behaviour in others and develop the confidence and skills they need to keep themselves safe,
- Ensure that our procedures for reporting and recording suspicions of abuse are clearly defined and understood by governors, staff and parents, and
- Uphold the fundamental principal of the paramountcy of the child as our first and foremost concern.
To this end we will ensure:
- That all of our staff and volunteers are subject to the appropriate background checks,
- That all members of staff subscribe to our Code of Practice and recognise that maintaining a positive and supportive ethos is our shared responsibility,
- That all members of staff are trained in identifying signs of abuse and understand the procedures for reporting concerns, and
- That all members of staff understand that the problem of child abuse must never be ignored and that some forms of abuse constitute a criminal offence.